[note: The following article, submitted by The Rev. Cynthia V. Forde, was taken from Western Arkansas Biographies and Historical Memoirs, page 487.]
George R. Miller was the capable assessor of Montgomery County, Ark, but by calling was a tiller of the soil, being the owner of 220 acres of valuable land. He was born in Monroe County, in east Tenn., in 1834, the fourth of nine children born to the union of John Miller and Nancy Wilson, their marriage taking place in Monroe County, Tenn., their births having occurred in South Carolina and Tennessee in 1803 and 1805, respectively.
When George Miller was two years of age, they went to Georgia, and there made their home until 1859, when they came to Polk County, Ark., where Mrs. Miller passed from life in 1866, and Mr. Miller in 1878, both having been Methodists for some years, though formerly Presbyterians. Mr. John Miller was a substantial farmer and served as county and probate judge in Dade County, GA, for some time while residing there.
His father, James Miller, died in South Carolina, an Irishman by descent. The mother’s father, Joseph Wilson, died in Macon, Ga., a trader and farmer. George R. Miller was given the education and rearing that was usually given the farmer’s boy, and in 1853 was married to Martha J., daughter of William and Margaret Davis, who were born in North Carolina in 1787 and 1803, respectively, their marriage taking place in Jackson County, Ala. From there they moved to Dade County, Ga., in 1840, where Mr. Davis died in 1852, a farmer by occupation, his widow passing from life in Polk County, Ark., in 1872.
Martha J. Miller first saw the light of day in Tennessee in 1840, and by George Miller became the mother of nine children. In 1858 Mr. Miller removed to Texas, but in 1860 came to Polk County, Ark., and in 1878 returned to Texas, where he spent seven more years. At the end of this time, he returned to Polk County, Ark., and the following year came to Montgomery County. He followed merchandising [p. 487] in Dallas for some five years, and for some time operated a steam mill in Polk County. In 1861 he joined Company H, Fourth Arkansas Infantry, and for about two years operated in Arkansas, afterward joining the Seventeenth Tennessee, with which he served for about one year, taking part in the engagement at Hoover’s Gap. In 1872 he was elected sheriff of Polk County, Ark., having previously served as deputy six years, and made one of the most zealous and faithful officers the county has ever had. He was justice of the peace in Texas, and in 1890 was elected assessor of Montgomery County, Ark.. He was a member of Cherry Hill Lodge No. 228 of the A. F. & A.M., and for a long time was junior deacon of Dallas Lodge. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church from boyhood, and was a stanch Democrat in his political views.