TRENTON METHODIST CHURCH
In 1880 William Killian moved with his family from McMinnville, Tennessee and settled where Mr. and Mrs. Hardee Price now live about two miles north of Trenton. The only other white family in the area was that of a Mr. Tanner. There were a few scattered Cherokee Indian huts.
Other families soon came. Their names were Morgan, Miller, Pace, Bates, Brock, Taylor¸ Morrison and Tatum these were quickly followed by Methodist preachers from Tennessee. Mrs. Ibbie Killian Shankle¸ a granddaughter of William Killian, has written of these preachers that they “came with the spirit and endurance of the Wesleys, Whitfield and Asbury” and “They preached at the cabins of the Christian pioneers of the community.”
Dade County was created December 25, 1837. The county seat was first called Salem but the name was changed to Trenton in 1840.
The first church building in the community stood just off The Square. It was built by the citizens of the community and deeded to The Cumberland Presbyterian Church. It was neither ceiled nor plastered until after The War Between The States. It was a community church and the Methodists worshiped there.
In 1875 James A. Case donated land for the building of a Methodist Church. Some of the others who took part in the building of this church were Manoes Morgan, Benjamin Brock, Dr. William Brock, Ben Pace, Mrs. James Bates, Mrs. Harriet Morrison and Noah Killian. The church stood beyond the railroad east of the Square.
The new building consisted of one large room. It was designed to care for the large crowds who came to hear the Presiding Elders and Bishops who preached there. Bishops Cavandough, Miles, McTier and Granbury preached in it. Mrs. Shankle states, “The other church had been too small to accommodate the crowds.”
The new church was dedicated in August 1883. A few years later the church was repaired and divided into smaller rooms. This church burned and the Methodists were without a place of worship uhtil the present building was erected.
The present building was erected on U.S. Highway 11 near the heart of town in 1931. Members of the congregation, many of whom are descendants of the original pioneers, and their friends with untiring effort erected the new building.
The building committee consisted of John I. Case, Chairman; Mrs. W.G. Morrison, Sr., Secretary and Treasurer; S.J. Hale, W.H. Brock and W.G. Morrison, Sr., Rev. J.T. Booth was pastor when the church was dedicated.
The parsonage was built on the church lot in 1943.
The educational building, consisting of a fellowship hall, five Sunday school rooms and rest rooms was bult in 1956-1957. Rev. Robert Hilton was pastor.
Trenton became a station in 1950. It had been a part of The Rising Fawn-Trenton Circuit which was composed of Byrd’s Chapel, Cave Springs, New Salem, Rising Fawn and Trenton.
The Trenton Methodist Church extends to everyone the invitation found in the last chapter of Relevation: “And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.”(Used by permission, History of Dade County, Georgia, Retired Senior Volunteer Program 1981)
[Note: The land that the church is constructed on was donated by William Gross. Submitted by great-granddaughter, Anita Baxley.]