Job Sherman Driggs was born 11-30-1840 in Colrain, Massachusetts. His first marriage was to Helen Tabor on 4-1-1865 who died giving birth to a son, Alva L. Driggs, in October of 1868. His second marriage was to Sophia Crittendon on 11-30-1873. Their children were: Myrtle, b. 9-11-1876 and Betty H., b. 9-11-1883. Sophia Crittendon Driggs died in Temple, IX on 12-13-1884. His third marriage took place on 12-25-1886 in Chattanooga, TN to

Georgia Ann Boatman. They had one child, Katherine, b. 12-13-1889.

Job Sherman Driggs fought in the Civil War enlisting on 5-9-1861 in the Union Army at Hillsboro, Wisconsin (near Madison) for a period of three years. He mustered in as a Private in Co. I, 6th Wisconsin Infantry Volunteers and fought in many battles, having an impressive battle record. On 5-1-1864, he re-enlisted for another three years, being promoted to Corporal and finally to 1st Lieutenant. On 5-6-1864, at the Battle of the Wilderness, VA., he was wounded through both legs. On 12-30-1865, Job mustered out of service at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas at the age of 25.

Job lived his entire life thinking he had fired the first cannon volley at the battle of Gettysburg. He fought with the famous Iron Brigade and its Napolian guns. In a letter from Job to the Secretary of War, and accompanied by a letter of reference from Governor Barnes of Wisconsin, he claims to have fired the first cannon volley at Gettysburg. He thought he was in the main battle. However, it is now known he was away from it. In a second character reference, General E. S. Bragg endorsed him as being the best soldier in the Iron Brigade.

After the war Job was sent west to help patrol the western territories. On a hunting expedition, Job shot and killed a buffalo from which he made himself a handsome powder horn from the animal’s horn. His great-great grandson, Kenneth Pennington, still has this horn. He was also employed as an engineer on the railroad and made his home near Temple, IX. When the Oklahoma Territory opened, Job was there to make “The Great Land Race in 1889”, winning a claim near Edmond, OK.

Job’s brother, Hirham, had fought for the Confederacy and had come to Georgia from Texas and eventually married Fannie Boatman, the daughter of William and Virginia Fowler Boatman. In 1883, after the death of his second wife, Job visited his brother and sister-in-law and upon seeing a photograph of Fannie5s sister, Georgia Ann, he became interested and started corresponding with her. Georgia Ann was a school teacher, living at what was then called Billion, GA. After several months of letters, Job and Georgia Ann made arrangements to meet. Job came to Chattanooga by train; they met at the station and were married before returning to her home on Lookout Mountain. Job and Georgia moved to Texas where their only child, Katherine, was born near Temple.

After about three years they returned to Lookout Mountain. Living in the South and being a Union Officer must have created some resentment. He and his father-in-law, William Boatman, often did not get along. They once had a fight in the yard but Georgia Ann, Job’s wife, and a dog interfered by trying to stop the fight. In anger Job said “if it hadn’t been for the bitch, and the dog, he could have won that fight.” Job and his father-in-law were both born in 1840.

Job earned retirement from the railroad and also a Civil War pension, the amount was about $60.00 per month. After his death in 1921, Georgia Ann continued to draw his pension. She and their only child, Katherine, lived in separate homes about 30 feet apart and she paid Katherine half of her pension to cook her meals and take care of her. This $30.00 per month, prior to and during the depression allowed Katherine and Bert to enjoy the luxury of owing the first Model A in the community and later on the first television.

My mother, Evelyn, is one of two granddaughters belonging to Georgia Ann. She tells a story about her Grandmother Boatman. The John Logan family lived near by and had several children. Georgia Ann would pay them to pick up buckets of rocks for her. When they would come to play with Evelyn and her brothers, if they became too loud or began fighting, she would have her bucket full of rocks just inside the door to throw at the children. Evelyn said her grandmother liked her grandsons, but treated the girls with indifference. Evelyn was tickled when at about age 70, Georgia Ann came down with the mumps. The old Grandmother really never recovered from them and died at 3:30 a.m. on 10-13-1938.

Job and Georgia Ann are buried in the National Cemetery in Chattanooga, TN.

(Submitted by Virginia (Ginger) Pennington Scruggs.

    Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

    You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

    Google photo

    You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

    Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: